View Single Post
Old 06-13-2022, 07:35 PM   #72
jeffahart

Re: Finishing Bed Wood with oil: Does it last, Let's just see

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenrytheWound View Post
Many thanks for the details. I think your bed wood still looks great. My 60 is all patina'd and has lots of dings in the inner bed so I don't need my bed wood to stay looking pristine. I got red oak because that's one of the common options in the bed wood kits, I hope it lasts a while. Anything will be better than the rotted and missing (original) wood the truck came with. You also did the bottom in the same oil?

I bought steel bed strips from Mar-K, they need to be painted. What did you paint yours with? I can't decide what color I want to go with since the truck was blue but is now mostly rust-colored. Anything new and shiny looks out of place on this truck.
Bottom was initially treated with same number of coats as the top... I think six or seven, but that's propably in my first couple posts. Anyhow I've never done anything to the bottom since, the bottom looks perfect, still nice and yellow.

I did my bed strips with spray on white rustoleum I do belive I primmed them first. I did the whole innner bed with regular canned rustoleum and an, I think a used a combination foam roller and foam applicator for tight spots. Again probably stated in one of the top posts. I think I did a bed touch up with an applicator a couple times when I did oil maiint.

I also did i write-up here about installing replacing bed wood as a one man job. How I painted is in this thread link below.
https://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vbo...d.php?t=712823

getting new bedwood installed is a happy day if yours is rotted out.

j

Last edited by jeffahart; 06-13-2022 at 07:42 PM.
jeffahart is offline   Reply With Quote