View Single Post
Old 06-15-2022, 11:48 PM   #4
'68OrangeSunshine

Re: That wonderful sound.

Just kidding Buddy. My Stepside still has the original Orange paint. Still, I never heard of using the hood for a table.
Ever since I bought it in 1973, the hood on my Stepside was popped up in back. The PO showed me how he [lovingly] used a flattened T-shirt under his elbow to press the rear edges level. After a while, I never bothered. I just figured that's the way it is. Lets hot air out from under the hood. I even had to use a hit of flat black spray paint on the back of the driver's side headlight, to kill the backblast glare.

Around 2004, I bought a pair of NNS [New New Stock] remakes of the 67-72 Hood Hinges and Springs -- made by GM for our vintage. They were reasonable, but I don't recall the exact price. I didn't put them on when I rebuilt the engine. I hung on to them.
In 2020, when my truck turned 400,000, I remembered I still had them. My mechanic and I R & R'ed the Hood Hinges and Springs, and he re-aligned the hood, so it shuts without slamming, and gently pops up when you pull the release. I was amazed at how smooth the thing was.
I used to have to use both hands, get at the right height, hold my mouth just so, and then slam that hood. Now it's like closing the door.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 06-16-2022 at 12:08 AM.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote