View Single Post
Old 06-16-2022, 09:38 PM   #21
HYPR

Re: Swapping L86 6.2 8l90e into 72 k10

Quote:
Originally Posted by barraza View Post
Little update:
With my current setup, i found i had a battery drain. Took a while to find, but the radiator fans draw power even with everything turned off. Not sure why, maybe it has something to do with the speed sensing they feed back to the ECM. Anyway, instead of powering them with direct battery power, they must be run by a relay switched by the key.

They were using about 40milliamps of power each. Enough to drain the battery in a few weeks.

Another thing to consider when using the 8l90e trans. It has a VERY low first gear, 4.56, and with overdrives, you end up with a wide gear range. There is no reason to use low axle gears.

I love this engine and trans. Best modification i have ever made.
I'm doing a similar install on my C20 Custom Camper with the L83/6L90E.
I like what I read about you leaving the LT water pump in place. I did notice you kept the original AC system instead of upgrading to a Vintage Air GEN 5 Sure Fit System. How did you address the Variable Displacement GEN5 LT AC Compressor? As I understand these are not compatible with each other.