View Single Post
Old 08-10-2022, 11:58 AM   #34
RichardJ

Re: Quick Oil-Change debacle (Kinda funny)

>> 68Orange
he couldn't find the parking brake so he left it in gear. I said OK Thanks, and got in. My Parking Brake lever was SET.<<

Millions of people in this country never set the parking brake. They put the shifter in park and walk away. Many call it a E-brake and think it is for Emergency use only.
There have been several auto recalls for transmission failures because the trans park failed to hold. Manufacturers are reluctant to tell their own customers how stupid they are for not setting the parking brake. A DMV License Test even requires you to use the parking Brake.
I had to take my Vette into a new Smog testing shop when they first started the Star program. The guy got into the car and tried to move it onto the rollers. It didn't move. He revved it, dumped the clutch and the car literally jumped, stalling the engine and turned on the Check engine light.
Not Happy.
I popped the hood, reset the engine light and explained the proper procedure for moving a car ten feet.

On the positive side, manual transmissions have become excellent theft prevention equipment.