View Single Post
Old 11-16-2022, 07:59 AM   #3374
special-K
Special Order

Re: What did you do today not on your truck...

What I didn't do is go along with my Buddy on an adventure that sounded interesting. The adventure was run out and down through WVA to Huntington along the Ohio R. to pick up a railroad speeder. I helped him drag the trailer out last Friday when he asked me if I wanted to go along.

Why I decided not to take him up on the offer. He inherited this trailer from a contractor who left it behind on his rental property. He brought it to where we pulled it out from, never used it. It's like new and a very heavy built single axle tilt deck w/16" rubber and full width with a pintle hitch. First red flag came when he said "Tires aren't all cracked up". I looked between the treads and said, "They're cracked between the treads". In one ear and out the other.

The tow vehicle is an Astro Van with the small receiver hitch. Can you smell that second red flag coming up? He bought an adapter for a ball coupler that mounts to the pintle rack on the trailer and a 2" adapter for the receiver on the van. This is many red flags in one. The trailer with load will be at the old vehicle's max tow capacity by way of coupling through a light duty frame-mount hitch adapted (extended) "up" to 2" using a ball coupler (extended) on the heavy trailer with cracked tires. He is also cutting out the round connector on the trailer to put a flat one on since that's what the Astro has. So no trailer brakes.

I'm overdue for a great adventure but I decided to pass this one up. If I throw caution to the wind I like to make sure the wind is blowing first. We are very different in that way

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 11-16-2022 at 08:09 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote