Thread: 47-55.1 Cast header question
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2023, 04:00 PM   #20
51 3600

Re: Cast header question

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62c30 View Post
I didn't have any issues with clearance on my starter. It's a 5.3 4l60 out of an 03 Tahoe.
Mine is a 5.3 4L60 out of an '01 Tahoe so I can't explain it unless there is a difference in the starter and your frame is just a little wider or your engine sits higher in the frame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitedog76 View Post
I've been closely watching your progress. In my research, those manifolds are basically copies of the 2010 and newer Camaro. If you go to Rockauto, you can see that the Camaro and G8 have the solenoid further back on the starter motor vs. the truck starters. So maybe try a Camaro starter.
This info is a big help. I looked on Rockauto and can see a big difference in starters. 2010 Camaro solenoid sits a lot farther back on the starter which would help. Plus, the stock truck solenoid sticks out wider than the starter itself where the Camaro solenoid sits inward. One question without seeing the Camaro unit is whether the boss on the block (pic below) gets in the way.

Name:  Exhaust 009B.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  46.1 KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
maybe a starter swap is in your future. might as well swap it now, and not have to grind your new manifolds, than have the temps from the really close manifold burn up the original starter. that way your manifolds stay intact as well. also, what about jacking the engine up an inch or notching the frame (with a gusset of course). just a thought.
Yup, a trip to the junk yard is in my future to find that Camaro starter. I'd rather experiment with a used one than spring for a new or reman to start. Just last week I finished pulling and reinstalling the engine to fix a crossmember problem so not inclined to do it again if I can help it.

I'll update this thread as soon as I get that starter.

'51 3600, LS5.3, 4L60e, Danforth cross., Blazer front susp., Borg Warner 9 bolt 3.27 GR, Wrangler leafs
51 3600 is offline   Reply With Quote