View Single Post
Old 04-24-2023, 08:07 AM   #11
Ironangel

Re: 83 12 Bolt Posi in a 72?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicIron View Post
Hoping someone can help me figure this one out. I found a rear end for sale said to be from an 83 c10 with 12 bolt posi and 3.07 gears. Should it be compatible if I were to swap the diff into my 72 1/2 ton rear end? Stock 12 bolt with 3.07 open diff and 30 spline axles. New posi units are typically described as being 64-82 but I haven’t found what the difference is with 83+. Thanks in advance!
The axle in the pic is a Truck 12-bolt, the carrier is a factory posi and everything should swap over to your axle housing. You will likely need a shim kit to set the correct backlash after you transfer your ring gear to the posi carrier. If I were you I'd go ahead and replace the carrier bearings and races on the posi unit. Keep track of the shim packs, there are either two factory cast iron shims or two stacks of thin shims, one on each side of the carrier. Here's a small installation procedure, https://www.randysworldwide.com/web_...l_Complete.pdf If you dont disturb the pinion gear and nut on your axle you should be ok to just put your ring gear on the posi carrier and install it per the instructions. Ring gears and pinion gears are mated pairs, they are lapped together from the foundry and should never be split up...Good luck, ask lots of questions...
71 C/50 Grain Truck, 350 Split-Axle 4-Speed
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage
1952 Ford 8N, "Only Ford Allowed On The Property"
"Be American, Buy American"
Ironangel is offline   Reply With Quote