View Single Post
Old 06-29-2023, 08:42 PM   #9
special-K
Special Order

Re: '71s With Drum Brakes??

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael bustamante View Post
feeding on this......I ran into a guy at the swap meet swearing his 67 short fleet was actually a 66, i should have took a pic of the vin. lol
anyone ever heard of a late production 66 like this in our genre?
well, the '67s came out in fall of '66, so some DMV might have titled per calendar rather than actual model year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMAROBOY68SS View Post
Im on the side that all 71s had disc, but Chevy in the past has done enough odd stuff that I would not be surprised if early trucks had the option to have drums. I know in 65 Corvettes had the option to have drums for credit instead of the standard 4 wheel disc, also early 69 Camaro's (Aug-Dec 68 cars) had the ability to delete the headrests before it became a federal requirement in Jan 69.

Only thing that would be odd with a early 71 with drums would be they would have to have a special drum with the change over to 5 lug, unless they stayed 6 lug for some reason as they used leftover 70 stuff.
This one truck I mentioned has 6-lugs. What's different here from the exceptions you mentioned is, point blank, this was not offered by GM... period. These people seem to think they have a freak that slipped through or all the first '71s got drums. Ok, where are all of those? Find one, could be changed over. Find a dozen? I'd be wanting to know more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJN View Post
I'm going to say not possible- basing that on the GM Info kit and parts catalog for 1971. The only front drums referenced in the parts catalog are for G series vans, all C/K trucks show front discs. Also, the only brake related option for C/K 10 trucks in 1971 was J70 power brakes. Front discs were standard equipment and no reference to a drum brake option is mentioned or published.
All true

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote