View Single Post
Old 07-14-2023, 12:10 AM   #134
FLYNAVY30

Re: 1972 C20 build and adventure thread

Thought I'd throw this out there for anyone still following along that might be experiencing similar issues....

Since moving to Texas two years ago, I've been having intermittent hot start issues in the Suburban in the summer. It would always start when cold, albeit with a little excessive cranking, but in the summer, when warm, it wouldn't start. I'd have to wait for it to cool down....sometimes to the tune of over an hour in the grocery store parking lot (fortunately, the HEB by us has a bar with draught beer).

I read wires, replaced a solenoid on my Power Master starter, and nothing solved the problem. As I've been researching, and recently purchased, an 80 series Land Cruiser (actually a Lexus LX450....dont tell anyone), I had been surfing the LC80 forums and came across a local guy who was having the same issue with his '93 Cruiser. Turns out that when wires get hot, the resistance of the wire goes up, sometimes significantly....thus affecting the amperage going to the starter. His solution was to use the power wire from his ignition switch to trigger a relay, sending power to the starter solenoid.

I just completed the same mod to my ignition system using a Kaizen Speed solid state relay and 10 AWG TXL wire for the leads coming from the battery to the relay and the relay to the solenoid. All I can say is WOW! The truck cranks and fires like a new truck, hot or cold. No delay, no continued cranking. I dont know what the amperage drop in the old wiring was, but it's definitely getting all the sauce now. Hopefully this helps someone else out.
FLYNAVY30 is offline   Reply With Quote