View Single Post
Old 07-23-2023, 01:19 PM   #3
e015475

Re: Door not closing after new seals

I put in a set of Soffseal door seals about a year ago on my '49, and I couldn't get the door to shut past the first click of the bear-claws (has Altman latches in it) so I took the Soffseals out.

I took some modeling clay and made some balls and stuck it on the doors about every foot where the seal meets the jamb, closed the door and then measured them.

The tightest clearance was about .150" and the biggest was about .350". The height of the Soffseal was about .700 inch.

So worst case, the Soffseal has to compress from .700" to .150" over about 18" on the latch side of the door jamb where there's the least amount of force to compress the seal. No wonder the door wouldn't close all the way.

I can't speak to your year of truck, but Steele sells two heights for my '49, so that's what I'm going to try next. They cost about 3x more than the Soffseals

There's all sorts of suggestions on the net on how to lubricate the seal so it compresses better. Most involve some sort of silicon spray for lubrication and one even suggested spraying the seal with PAM cooking spray, close the door and let it sit for a few days.

I wouldn't recommend any of those methods, especially if you ever plan on doing any painting

One method I would like to try is lubing the seal and jamb with cornstarch. I raided the kitchen for some cornstarch and my wife gave me a soft makeup brush to apply it with and I'll try it with the Steele seals when they arrive.

Hope this helps you some
e015475 is offline   Reply With Quote