Thread: 47-55.1 Long Time Coming......
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2023, 02:40 PM   #17
gsinon

Re: Long Time Coming......

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngrodder View Post
That stance is spot on. It looks really good. On my last painted 48 truck build I assembled the front end piece by piece. I didn't think it was realistic (for me) to assemble it on the floor then wrestle that heavy mass into place without scratching something.

It is looking great.

Marc
Thanks Marc. Getting the stance right can be a challenge, and can also make or break a hot rod. I was thrilled to get it on the ground and be happy with the outcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Dude View Post
From a body-man's point of view, I prefer to get everything fit perfect then when I have it disassembled I only paint the jambs. Then reassemble, fix any scratches in what was the final primer sand, "soft-mask" the jambs and paint the cab/front clip all at once. Especially if a high-metallic color is used. I can pick out vehicles that were painted apart vs painted as a whole at car shows(high metallic colors). Paint out of the same gallon can can be many different colors depending on conditions and how it is applied. Silvers and very light golds are the worst. The metallic particles can lay flat, on end or any variation in-between. Giving a different look at different angles.

Just my humble opinion...

It's more work and requires more painting skill but, a good painter can do it and it will look better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
My opinion also. Some painters try to do really long stretches at once, like the whole length of the car. Having step side fenders or fenders like the AD trucks have would complicate that. Spraying at the same time but not attached to vehicle would possibly help.
I genuinely appreciate your opinions, and I am always open to suggestions. However I loathe tape lines in door jambs and paint everything in pieces. Well not everything, I wouldn't do a candy or graphics that way. But a simple tri-stage or a metallic/pearl color I would and do all day long. I am far from the best painter out there, like not even close, I know painters that make me look like a chump. However I do have some skills swinging a spray gun. It must work, I won Best Paint at the 2019 Detroit Autorama (800+) and two weeks later at the Cleveland Autorama (900+) car shows competing against the very best. This done with a car painted completely in pieces over a couple months.

I am a stickler for consistant air pressure settings, reduction and I paint everything in the oriantation they will be on the vehicle, meaning door standing upright and not laying down.

If by chance it isn't right when assembled, then I can sand it down and blow one even coat on the cab/nose and then reclear.

I hope that reply didn't come off as me being arrogant, I'm the least arrogant person you will ever meet.

1987 R10, Ethel
Copper Hill Rod & Custom
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829856
gsinon is offline   Reply With Quote