View Single Post
Old 08-12-2023, 09:48 AM   #2
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Re: Brake fluid leaks

When I was working on my 69 AH Sprite hard lines a few months back I had a similar leak/weeping in a few places. Loosen, then tighten back/forth a number of times solved (seated?) the connection leak/weeping problems. The hard lines on my Sprite are Nickel-copper - not sure if that makes a difference to this approach. As I felt like I needed to go tighter (leaking/weeping), I'd loosen just a wee bit and work the fitting back/forth until I went tighter. I know one of two I them ended up being really tight!

I suppose another issue you could be fighting is an anomaly on the line end or where they connect into. Like a deep scratch, burrs, or some malformation? Perhaps inspect with a modifying glass under good lighting?

You are correct, no teflon tape or pipe dope on fittings like these.

Good luck, I know your pain when dealing with brake line leaks. I didn't trust all the connections until my blue shop towel test passed. I would tear a small bit off and use tweezers to run it around each and every fitting (of course used a lot of brake spray cleaner too when I had to reset the testing). I did this for about two or three days. The previous owner ran the lines wrong and used teflon tape in a few places... not fun at all ;-)

Edit
[Rant-Off Topic]
The PO of my Sprite had ran the front/rear lines to the Master Cylinder backwards. I only figured this out because I rebuilt the PDWA (it drives the brake light in case of a catastrophic failure in pressure) and would come on randomly when I got it working. Why anyone would work on their car's brakes and make a mistake like this is beyond me and then try to deal with leaks incorrectly - which they still leaked. Man was I pissed off and still am!

Good job @don t. - 72gmc asking for advise. That's the first step getting something right [researching and asking as needed] and I hope you solve your leaking problem.
[/Rant-Off Topic]

'72 Chevy C10 Cheyenne *Super WHT/MED BRONZE/WHT
SBC 350 | TH350 | LWB | AC | Buddy Seats
Upgrades: Tilt | Front Sway Bar | Radio | Sliding Window | Bed Spare w/Lock
Bed Rails | Full LEDs | Courtesy Lights | Tachometer | Glovebox Lock & Light | Head Light Relays | *Upgraded Fully Super Trim

Last edited by Rich72C10; 08-12-2023 at 10:03 AM.
Rich72C10 is offline   Reply With Quote