View Single Post
Old 10-02-2023, 01:13 PM   #389
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Re: Build that 71 402 already

Well at least I have a rear bumper to install. The license plate bracket is out with the guy who painted the truck, I optioned for argent silver and a clear coat.

By some measure I'd like to see it a pinch higher on the left, but all considered I'm sticking with this after a few attempts. Happy mediums, it's off by <20th, but would still be off <20th in places to raise it. We had to modify brackets for this rare doesn't mean desirable frame, they really came through.

I read some suggesting a washer placed between each bracket and bumper is desirable, to disperse some load. Well I nearly did that and promptly pulled them. No way, if the brackets are flat and flush to the bumper that's exactly the disbursement required. Washers might lead to a distorted bumper and plain isn't right, IMO. The assembly manual doesn't include them anyway. That said, I've seen replacement brackets, their bumper surfaces are anything but flat.

That's the second time this bumper was rechromed. First was by Stockton Plating, still had their sticker. The first time it came as a gift from my mom, early 90s. I proceeded to ruin it then, because the brackets were just plain wrong, I did it backwards too and bent the *(^)^^ out of it torquing it down. .....Ahhhhhh! The truck came with a step bumper.

GM's designs were real good, the bumpers top outer edges are plumb the lower side trim's top outer edge. I didn't check for sure, looks dead on.
Attached Images

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring the truck from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details, OEM identifications & part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images of assm., illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 10-02-2023 at 07:24 PM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote