View Single Post
Old 12-30-2023, 02:10 AM   #18
connorm

Re: Ol' Green '70 GMC C2500 Father/Son

There were some other maintenance items done, mainly a water pump and radiator hoses. Then after this a squealing started. This turned out to be a front driver's side wheel bearing. The logical solution is to do a crossmember swap.

During This the braking system was pretty much converted to '71-72 power brakes with front disk brakes. A full '71-72 front crossmember and master cylinder. Aftermarket calipers were used and rebuilt but they worked out in the long run. Getting brake hoses was actually a problem too, but my dad had a guy make up factory '71-72 hoses then we ground away the material not needed with the aftermarket calipers. New front brake lines were needed, but only fronts. Steering was also replaced, although the front crossmember came with outer tie rods, inner tie rods and sleeves were bought. A new used center link was also needed with the larger tie rods. Along with this there were a lot of little brake fittings and other random parts needed. This swap was not the easiest and there were many parts stores runs. I recommend having two floor jacks if you do this, or buddies, and not having a deadline as some figuring out and research is needed. I would say 99% of this was factory parts or just bolting and unbolting Lego style stuff, but there was "customization." The outer frame holes needed to be elongated for the bolts to fit. That took me embarrassingly long to figure out. Maybe I should have listened to my dad sooner.

Pic 1: One of dad and I's helpers. Dad in the background salvaging tailgate hardware.

Pic 2: Not a bad place to work. Dad's '71 in the background. Where the tailgate hardware was going.

Pic 3: About where I was finding out the holes didn't line up and thinking the old cross member had to go back in. Turns out they were really close. Some swaps don't need the holes elongated and some swaps do. Doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason.

So, as I was going through pictures, apparently I need to track some more down. I guess I'll leave you on cliff hanger for this. Damn Google
Attached Images