View Single Post
Old 01-13-2024, 02:09 AM   #6
RustyPile

Re: Hood hinge spring orientation? (Clocking)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmjlambert View Post
I have no reason to believe my hood hinges have ever been messed with, the whole truck appeared original and had 86,000 miles on it as of the 1980s. Based on wear and tear of all the items on the truck I believe it had not been over 100,000. The passenger side has the spring with the ends pointing up, and driver side pointing down. I think they were installed whichever way was convenient to the installer. Release your brain and enjoy them in any orientation. Naturally I would like to see yours with passenger side spring with the ends pointing up, and driver side pointing down, doesn't that counterbalance the Chevy frame twist? Or cause it, I don't remember. :-)
Dave, you're exactly right.. But if you leave the springs in one position more than about 3 months, the tension will pull the twist in the frame back the other way.. My remedy for that is about every 60 days or so, remove the hood springs and reverse them.. This keeps everything straight and aligned..

The following is for PbFut... Here's an item you can add to your ADD list.. Jack up your truck and check the clocking on the nuts on the bolts holding the bed in place.. You'd be surprised in the improvement in ride quality when they're all clocked in the same direction..
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote