View Single Post
Old 01-15-2024, 10:45 PM   #236
68bowtie

Re: More on EVs from a guy trying to sell them

Quote:
Originally Posted by PbFut View Post
MikeB, Yes an EV is a very different animal and I am not sure about owning one in areas of extreme cold, or limited sunlight. If you have solar power, then things get really easy. I live in a area of So Cal where electricity can cost close to 90 cents a kW during peak periods. The state and feds provided very generous rebates making my system very low cost. I generate enough power to charge my car and power my home. Simple to drive in the garage and plug in the car. No fuel cost for me to drive the car as my annual true up with the power company is less than 200 kw in the lower tiers. I actually have credits in the 90 cent tier.
Compare that to my Trailblazer SS that I drove 168K miles. Required premium fuel and got 12.8 miles to the gallon lifetime. That was 13,125 gallons. In California, premium is $5. It cost me twice what I paid for the Trailblazer new off the showroom floor to drive that 168K miles. Yes there are extra panels in my solar system to generate the power needed for the car. Cost is 2 to 3k all in for those extra panels. So the payback to power the car is quick and the rest is free miles. I take the truck or plug in hybrid car for the really long trips.
Perfect scenario for an EV. In your shoes I would buy one too.

I could probably benefit from one myself honestly, but I need my 2012 crew cab to take kids to school and haul trucks. Buying a second car of any price and cost doesn’t pay for itself. My commute is 3 miles so 12mpg is hard to recover buy spending $40k+ on an EV haha.

Survivor "Lil’ Mint" (67 c10 40k mile light green original paint)
Project "C10 Fever" (68 factory black 396 swb)
Project "Little Sister" (70 c10 blue original paint refresh)
Project "Blue Bomb" (70 c30 blue original paint refresh) SOLD
Project "Vitamin C" (71 c10 orange original paint refresh) SOLD