View Single Post
Old 02-02-2024, 12:11 PM   #11
'72 longhorn dually

Re: cleaning in fender wells/ bed sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaparralman1974 View Post
Basically, I wanted to stay with a single manufacturer for everything that I could. Being a beginner with no auto body experience, I have relied heavily on YouTube, the interwebs, and this forum. Eastwood has a very navigable FAQ section, and I even called their tech support a few times. Lastly, I like being able to order everything at once from the same place.

I can say that the internal frame coating stuff went on just like I figured....very wet and runny, which really is what you want so that it flows into all of the nooks and crannies. It will make a mess, so you have to tape up the areas where it will run out. I also put a bunch of plastic down in the garage so that it didn't get all over the place. It also dried pretty quick, which was a bonus. I used it everywhere on the cab that I could except the roof (I didn't want it running back down the walls and I had already done most of the body work so I didn't want to roll the cab on its back again and damage anything that I had already fixed.

I stayed with Eastwood for everything except the body filler. For that, I chose to use Evercoat Rage Ultra. It was recommended by several body shops (on YouTube) that do show cars. I have been super happy with the results so far.

Clay
Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
The 360 wand had a good 360 spray pattern but not a perfect pattern. You don't get enough volume to get complete coverage with one pass of the wand. Expect to do several passes to get complete coverage.

An other product you may want to consider is something like Fluid Film. The film that is sprayed on will creep into the seams and other tight places. The downside of them is that you will need to reapply them from time to time. This gentleman has done a lot of real world tests with these and other products.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffwde8dfBvc

I will say that this is subject is a rabbit hole that is full of folks with lots of strong opinions and at the end the question is do you want to completely disassemble the truck and epoxy coat everything before reassembling the truck? As that is where it ultimately leads to.

All of us have to decide on what process we have confidence in and that we can afford the time and money to make happen.
i appreciate the inputs! i would call myself a starting rookie, 4 years body and paint experience but in a industrial side ( bondo and painting rail cars). i have done a large patch on the bed side already and im fighting it( one of my main reasons for not wanting to split it. i have done 90% of my automotive body work learning via youtube and forums as well. im loving the process and i know im never going to have a show quality truck but also want to take the right steps into making it look good for a weekend cruiser.
'72 longhorn dually is offline   Reply With Quote