View Single Post
Old 02-13-2024, 08:53 PM   #40
chevmn

Re: Rear Posi (is it worth the money)

About 40 years ago I had a big block Chevelle with a one legged open diff and I was going to work one morning on slightly wet pavement. When the light turned green, and like i often did, I opened it up (not best decision). Needless to say, the rear never hooked up, and several blocks later apparently one side decided to grab, and at fairly high rate of speed it took a hard left turn. Letting off the gas was fruitless, and I broadsided a concrete culvert on the opposite side of the road, bending the right axle, wheel, and tweaking the frame. To this day I will still say if I had a posi, it would have acted much differently, most likely gaining traction vs. spinning one tire until it reached such a high speed ultimately causing loss of control. Should I have known better? Probably, but I was in my early 20's so brain had not fully developed yet :-), and I had just gone through the engine, adding more cam, etc. But, it all depends on how you drive, conditions, etc. An open diff is perfectly fine on dry roads and sensible driving. But a 4x4 with at least a posi in the rear and the right tires is sure nice when road conditions are less than ideal. In those conditions, every additional driven wheel makes all the difference.
chevmn is offline   Reply With Quote