View Single Post
Old 02-15-2024, 07:42 PM   #59
chevmn

Re: Rear Posi (is it worth the money)

I recall the first vehicle with G80 rear axle I had. I purchased it, and really never knew the difference or that it had a posi rear. I purchased it for multiple reasons, but mostly because it was a 4x4. In 1979, they were just becoming popular, and at least in my area, were the exception not the norm like today. Being 19 at the time, I looked for reasons to use 4x4, and it did not disappoint, and I soon found I could go places most could not, and later found out that the posi added one extra wheel with traction (3 as front axle was not posi). I owned the truck 14 years, and was only stuck one time, going places few could, and after i got out of the truck, I knew why. It was buried. The front hubs were below ground, and I did not have to step down to get out of the cab. I traded for a 92 K1500 non-posi 4x4, and wow what a difference, the 92 was a good truck, but on a grade you had to engage 4 wheel drive to move in wet grass. I now have a 2011 with G80 and 4x4, but not a big fan of the newer lockers. My 72 has a dana powerloc, and seems pretty impressive, but it will not likely ever travel a snow covered road, but leaves a nice "carbon footprint" when opening up the big block :=}

Last edited by chevmn; 02-15-2024 at 07:47 PM.
chevmn is offline   Reply With Quote