View Single Post
Old 03-06-2024, 08:10 PM   #229
hewittca

Re: Sullii the 72 GMC 1500

So I have a few items to add resolution to before we get to the good stuff. First, I was able to install the replacement Cold Case radiator. This resolved my leaky radiator problem with the best possible solution: a new radiator. Cold Case was awesome to work with on the warranty replacement, and super fast shipping. I'm just hoping the new radiator doesn't leak as well! While I was investigating the leak, I also noticed that my serpentine belt was bouncing around quite a bit. I checked the tensioner and it was at full extension... not good. I decided to go with a 1" shorter belt, PN K060785. It was also at this point that I noticed the alignment marks on the tensioner. This belt ends up with the tensioner at the ideal location.

Next up was my driveshaft vibration issue. After reviewing all my angles AGAIN, I decided to try adding a 2 degree shim to rotate the pinion downward. This put the pinion 1 degree below where I thought it should be in theory, but I was running out of adjustment at this point and wanted to try something. While I was checking angles, I also inspected the universal joints and noticed my front joint had radial play in both axes. Then I noticed that the cap faces were grinded down, I'm assuming in an attempt to get the retaining rings in. I was quite disappointed with this discovery since I specifically drove several towns over to go to a highly recommended drive shaft shop. I can only guess this is standard practice and someone just got a little over zealous on this particular u-joint. I decided to replace this ruined Moog joint with a Spicer that ended up fitting perfectly right out of the box. With the changes I made this time around, my driveshaft vibration is now gone!

Now that those issues are resolved, it's on to the fun stuff. I debated on which tires to get for my new wheel setup and was stuck between a 275/60 or a 295/50 rear tire. I liked the height of the 275, but did not like that it would be a bit stretched like my 235 on the 8" wheel. The 295 fits a 10" wheel perfectly, but the 50 aspect ratio results in a very short tire for a truck at 26.6". Ultimately, I ended up going with the 295/50 rear and a 245/60 front to match. Coincidentally, this wheel/tire combo is the so-called "Squarebody Syndicate Formula" but I'm about to make it fit on a 67-72.

The first photo is the old 215/75 (left) and the 245/60 (right) that will replace it on the front. Second photo is the old 235/75 (left) and the meaty 295/50 (right) replacement! This tire definitely adds some depth to the rear of the truck compared to the skinny 235.

I went with Cooper Cobra Radial G/T tires because they were the only decent tires in these sizes that I could find. BFG no longer makes the 295/50. You can get a BFG copy from Coker but I didn't want to drop that much change on tires. Besides, the Coopers are pretty darn nice tires anyway. The only thing I don't like about them is the ridiculous cobra emblazoned on the blackwall side of the tire, so white letters out it is.

-
C10 Concept/Development Photos: Master Thread
hewittca is offline   Reply With Quote