View Single Post
Old 05-18-2024, 01:00 PM   #2
RustyPile

Re: Has anybody torn apart a Flaming River steering column?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyridin View Post
I have a Flaming River column in my 68 C10. The thing rattles from what I am guessing is the shifter sleeve. If you hold the shifter a certain way, it almost stops rattling. It is driving me nuts.

I have seem videos on how to disassemble the tilt mechanism, but I was looking at the bottom section. It has a bushing from what I am being told and the steering shaft flops around at least .05". I want to try and put a bearing int here instead of their cheap bushing to tighten up the steering and hopefully stop it from rattling.
I've had mine apart. It uses standard GM tilt mechanism pieces. The lower bushing, like yours, is a plastic piece. I replaced the plastic bushing with a machined brass sleeve.. It has a shoulder on the OD that keeps the bushing from going too deep into the column. I drilled and tapped 3 evenly spaced holes in the OD of the bushing.. I drilled matching holes in the column. Used 8-32 stainless pan head allen bolts to hold the bushing in place.. I use Lubri-Plate white grease for lubrication.. No rattling or sloppiness now...

[EDIT] My column is a floor shift model.. Yours may be different..
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote