View Single Post
Old 01-09-2019, 12:18 PM   #111
NeoJuice

Re: What's going wrong inside my 350?

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnin oil View Post
Cam grind wise I would have to look up the exact specs on it. From memory it has a 2500-6000 RPM power band. I can tell you that it is an older grind and more strip than street/strip but is still streetable. I run alot more cam than you have in my 72 K20 and can still use the factory power brakes. My circle track cam makes around 7" of vacuum at idle and will still work with the large booster in the truck. I run a manual with 4.10 gears and it is right at the border line. That said I am not an expert on your braking system nor do I know if you are running an under hood or under floor setup. The dual diaphram under floor setup would probably work. If you have power steering a hydroboost conversion would negate any vacuum issues period.

I did not see what rear gear you are running in the truck. Personally I would leave the cam and see how it does as long as you have a 3.73 or lower axle gearing. You have a trans with a decent first gear and alot of convertor. You can afford to loose a little bit of bottom end for a stronger mid range. In all honesty people on here would need to know alot more engine specs to truely recommend a cam. Compression and heads at the least. I could spec a cam about the size people have recommended (a really good one) that would not be able to be run with factory heads. So much lift that it would pull the studs out of the valvetrain. Odds are the cam that was mentioned would be perfect as long as the compression is not through the roof on this motor to start with.
I'm not completely sure what the gearing in the rear diff is. I believe its a stock 1980 10 bolt pontiac/formula one/trans Am posi rear diff with disc brakes. Previous owner never said anything about swapping out the gears on it. So I think they might be 3.11 by the casting numbers on the diff. I looked it up a long long time ago so I'm not clear on that right now.

I do have an under floor brake booster w/manual steering in the truck. I'm going to run the cam for now and test vacuum before swapping the cam gears and go from there.
NeoJuice is offline   Reply With Quote