View Single Post
Old 08-14-2018, 11:19 AM   #14
mr48chev

Re: Towing a 1954 Chev 1/2 ton truck

Hydro does have a rear pump and you can push start them but have to be up to about 35 mph before they will turn the engine over. Been there done that doing the pushing a time or two back when I had a 55 Buick and a buddy had an Olds with a battery that didn't always hold a charge.

Still we got way off track and his question was on a granny shift 4 speed truck that won't have a problem being flat towed. My 77 has tow bar tabs under the front bumper where they hooked a tow bar to tow it around behind another larger truck between construction jobs rather than drive two trucks.
A lot of these old trucks were set up to bolt a tow bar on to tow them around the country when they were newer and you might be taking a 2 ton and your 1/2 ton between job sites.

I wouldn't worry about flat towing it a few miles home on a tow strap at all as long as you are good at being towed on a tow strap or chain. My daughter is the best at being in the towed car that there is and I have had her steer the rig being towed since she was 16.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote