View Single Post
Old 06-12-2010, 11:58 AM   #18
ChevyTech

Re: Brake light on. Codes?

Checking for a code, by jumping the ALDL terminals, when no code is present sets a code 9, WHICH WILL DISABLE THE RWAL system.

Code 9 = High resistance or open speed sensor circuit (resistance should be 1000 to 2500 ohms)

Beginning in August 1990, a software change was made in the ABS controller on all General Motors RWAL equipped vehicles. The change transforms codes 6, 9 and 10 into "soft" (non-latching) codes that only illuminate the warming light as long as the fault is present. If the fault is intermittent and no longer exists, the light will go out with the next ignition cycle.

If the vehicle has a speed sensor problem it will turn the light back on. If the speedometer does not work at times or the service engine light is coming on setting a code 24, then you need to diagnose the speed sensor circuit.
Quote:
Unhooked and reconnected the pos battery cable
Now my brake warning light is not on
This should clear the code so the system will function again.

Quote:
Does the original problem still exist?
If there is a problem the light should come back on. Drive the vehicle and see if the light comes back on.

Quote:
I also noticed after all this that the brake warnig light does not come on for 2 seconds at start up
Have I disabled my rwal?
The system is designed to run a self test at start-up. If it is not turn the light on for two seconds it could have a bad RWAL module.
ChevyTech is offline   Reply With Quote