View Single Post
Old 07-28-2010, 07:54 AM   #34
fleetsidelarry
Senior Car Nut

Re: 1965 Seat Belts???

[quote=fryer1979;4111005][QUOTE]

(f) ) An owner of a motor vehicle, including an owner or operator of a taxicab, as defined in Section 27908, or a limousine for hire, operated on a highway shall maintain safety belts in good working order for the use of occupants of the vehicle. The safety belts shall conform to motor vehicle safety standards established by the United States Department of Transportation. This subdivision, however, does not require installation or maintenance of safety belts if not required by the laws of the United States applicable to the vehicle at the time of its initial sale.
Quote:

Kinda looks to me like there aren't exclusions for vehicles made before seat belts were required. Personally, I would never put a vehicle on the road without them. I'm just not willing to take that kind of responsibility.
fryer, I respectfully disagree, I used to have to read and interpret legislation and regulations when I worked for both State and Federal regulatory agencies. This subdivision means that all the rest of the requirements for mandatory belt use apply only to vehicles required to have them by the Feds when they were new.