View Single Post
Old 06-11-2018, 04:01 AM   #11
'68OrangeSunshine

Re: Recommendation on Carburetor Selection

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW4B View Post
67 Chevy C20 Longhorn with 402 big block. Finally got it running after replacing fuel pump, plugs, distro cables & cap etc. Has a Carter AFB 9605S that has a leaking accelerator pump and the air fuel screws don't seam to work (no change in RPM when I attempt to adjust the air fuel mixture - as a novice).

Trying to decide:
Rebuild the Carter AFB
Buy a reconditioned OEM Stage 2 Quadrajet $469
Buy a reconditioned Edelbrock 600 CFM carb $499
http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/CB/full.aspx?page=58

Although I'm not made of $$, I value reliability highly.

Thoughts?

Fortgot to mention, I have the original 2 quadrajet carb but it was left outside and it looks pretty rough.
Rebuild the Carter AFB. I have a 9605S [600 CFM] and I run it on a 350 V8 in a '71 GMC Jimmy. Works great, easy to work on. You want an Edelbrock recarb kit #1470 or 1477. [One is the whole kit, the other is an accelerator pump piece which is also included in the big kit]. Call Edelbrock and tell them you have a 1405 or 1406. [ '05 is manual Choke]. They are very knowledgable and friendly -- just don't tell them you have an original Carter AFB. The tech rep will clam up if you let on it's a Carter. Just play along. Ask for a 'Performer Carb' Owner's tuning manual. They're free. Federal Mogul bought out Carter, and sold AFB carbs until the early 2000s. Edelbrock, which had also been marketing the same carb [from the same Weber plant] then, sometime in the current Century, got the exclusive rights to sell that design patent. Big Corporations -- go figure -- whatever.

I think the only "improvement" Edelbrock put on the AFB design was a big red decal. Otherwise it's unchanged -- which is a good thing. Edelbrock's tuning book and tech service is better than Carter's, which is non-existant now.
Shop Jeg's and Summit for bigger ticket items. I have been running my AFB for nearly 20 years now. Cost $199 at the local hot rod parts shop retail, then.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 08-19-2018 at 03:19 PM.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote