View Single Post
Old 07-05-2011, 01:49 PM   #15
Winola73

Re: have some questions about 350 performance parts

[quote=blackedoutharley;4772262]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ya it is a classic View Post
I don't buy no-name parts as important as an intake. I have an Edelbrock Performer RPM on my truck and it works good in my opinion. They are hard to beat.

I would not recommend the Muther Thumper line of cams in any truck. The cam that is in my truck is a Comp High Energy 268h. I am going to pull this motor soon and go through it and will be going to the Extreme Energy XE268H.

As far as buying a new HEI stick to Summit or Jegs. I know you can buy a completely new MSD HEI for under $140 complete.
Yes, avoid the no name intake regardless of price, I've heard countless horror stories about fit, port alignment, etc. It's 100% Edelbrock for me although I do have one used Weiand and a GMPP intake but the Weiand was made back in the early 80's and I'm told the GMPP was actually designed and manufactured by Edelbrock for GM.

The Mother Thumper cams rate right up there with noisy gear drives. Great for "fairgrounds racers" that just want to sound cool while idling to their parking spot at the local cruise night. The Comp 268HE has become pretty much a "standard", it has a nice lope at idle and it works well in a broad range of applications. The Performer RPM and 268HE is a classic and well proven combo.

I hope I don't start an argument with this one but here's a personal observation. I bought one of the "Skip White" eBay no name HEI's for my old Monte Carlo about 5 years ago and it worked so well I bought 2 more just to have on hand. A friend bought an MSD Street Fire from Summit last year and I was thinking how similar it looked to mine so I grabbed one of the spares and took it over to his place. We pulled the caps and rotors on each and put them side by side and we could not tell the difference. I have pictures to prove it and I'd be happy to post them. They had identical components, tooling marks and the wires were routed and secured exactly the same. There was virtually no difference. My friend was PO'd as he had paid $100 more for the MSD name. Someone here mentioned in another post that their Streetfire had roller bearings and maybe they did at one time but my friend's does NOT. That's not to say that you could buy one of each today and find the same thing but at some point in time you could so do your homework before shelling out big bucks for brand name ignition and make sure you're really getting what you're paying for. The MSD Streetfire is good but it is clearly made offshore and they may not be the exclusive or cheapest distributors of that distributor. ( "distributors of that distributor", that sounds odd doesn't it? )
Winola73 is offline   Reply With Quote