View Single Post
Old 08-24-2016, 01:54 PM   #184
HUSSEY

Re: "Albert" -- 1949 AD, S10 Chassis

I got the gas filler squared away. I ended up piecing together a filler neck out of my original S10 filler neck. I cut it off about where it bends and also cut off the end. I then welded on the end to have a sealing lip. Instead of using my MIG I thought I would give gas welding a try with some 1/16 filler rod.

I got the grommet from McMaster-Carr, P/N 63595K38. They’re made by Kennard (http://www.kennardind.com). It’s really a pipe grommet but I thought it worked well. I also bought an assortment of these for my wiring; they make them for all different IDs. I like them because they have a center that stretches easily. The easiest way to find them is to search for “Pipe Grommet” on McMaster-Carr’s website.

I plan on getting a new gas cap ordered. I saw another builder use a Harley Davidson fuel tank cap, P/N 61102-83, its chrome, threaded, and vented. My plan is to keep this non-vented cap on when it’s parked in the garage over longer periods of time but swap out for a vented cap when I drive it.

From the pics the neck looks like its installed horizontal but it actually has a slope to it. I positioned the fill inlet a couple inches higher than the connection on the gas tank.