Thread: 1970 Nova....
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2016, 01:43 PM   #2
bs46488

Re: 1970 Nova....

Update from June 2013

sold off the 15" rally's (with the wrong offset so they hit the fender lips)
purchased cheap rollers for garage.
Purchased cheap shocks to get settled
cleaned up some wiring
Stripped massive layers of old paint and lots and lots of bondo
Started patching some rust holes

Here it is in June 2013

So my biggest fear of the car at this point was the brakes. When I loaded it on the trailer, I got the feeling it wasn't going to stop and roll off the front of the trailer.

Since it just had manual brakes, I figured hydroboost would be the best upgrade.

Just finished up the Hydroboost over the weekend.

After I finished the fab and mock-up of the hydroboost and started bleeding the brakes, I started to find some interesting stuff. Pass rear = working drum. Driver rear = No fluid present during bleeding. Driver front = excellent condition and fluid present. Pass front = dry as a bone. replace caliper, still no fluid. (Think I figured out why the brakes were a little sketchy loading on the trailer!) Had to replace line from master to front passenger just to get the fluid flowing again. Now I got 4 working hydro assisted brakes. THEY WORK!

Before: Standard non-power master cyl with front factory converted disk and rear drums

After: mock up of the Astro hydro boost and master cyln, you can see the Wilwood prop valve in the bottom of the pic

So in August of 2013 I got most of the bugs sorted out and have a starting/stopping/steering project. Most of the original (5+ layers) of paint have been stripped off and it sits like this in rattle can primer
bs46488 is offline   Reply With Quote