View Single Post
Old 03-27-2017, 11:00 PM   #202
HO455
Post Whore

Re: Working Man's Burbon

The pedal arms were different (1st photo) so I decided to bend the new one ( which in the picture is the black one) to match instead of remounting the pedal in a different spot. The base that holds the pedal is the basically the same on both. Using a cutting torch I made the three bends, one at a time, quenching the rod in water after each bend. I forgot to get a photo of the finished pedal, but it is a close match. After bolting the pedal in I removed the old throttle cable bracket from the intake manifold, and installed a factory bracket on the carburetor mounting bolt. I installed the cable and put the springs on in the factory location. (2nd photo) When installing the cable I made the discovery that the secondary's on the carburetor did not open. Which I am sure has contributed to the lack of performance. It took about 45 minutes to get that straightened out. There were two issues, one was the tab on the main throttle shaft (3rd photo) just behind where the cable hooks up was severely bent back towards the firewall, and the kick down switch was way out of adjustment. After a test drive I wonder if someone intentionally tried to block the secondary's from opening, because the carb has a serious bog if you tip into the secondary's and if you nail it, it just coughs and dies. Whereas before it just ran painfully slow. I will also have to address the kick down switch mounting. If you look carefully at the last photo you can see it is using the front bolt of the factory bracket and then a loop of plumber's strap to hold the back end in place. The engine has a dual plane Street Dominator manifold on it and no provisions for the factory bracket. If anyone has any ideas on how to mount this better I would love to hear them. A successful day as the new throttle is silky smooth and light.
Attached Images

If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote