View Single Post
Old 12-09-2012, 02:56 PM   #25
cortcomp

Re: '66 Longbed 327 w/AC project

Spent the weekend taking apart the dash on the truck, removing all the previous owner's wiring, checking the harness and refurbing the dash, adding the vacuum gauge and tach, face decals, etc. I used a new bezel, but noticed on re-assembly that the tabs and line up posts/studs on it were slightly out of place. Also, had to work the edge of the factory bezel on the grinder to remove about 1/16th on one corner, and drill the post line up holes on the dash bezel one size bigger. Going to take it back apart just to put a new glass bezel in (thought mine was fine, but looks dingy against everything else being fresh.) And put the one green turn signal filter in that i found on the bench when done....how did that escape!!

However, found most of the harness untouched! just taped up or not used, and tons of "new" wiring used! Good news in all! Found the wiring schematic for the KH brake controller, and installed the brake light switch and bracket for the parking brake light. Need to run new harness (4 wires + one blue brake controller) to the back and clean up the wiring there, and wire in the 7 blade trailer plug that's built into the aftermarket bumper. Then the brake controller should work, all the rear lights, trailer plug. Then wire in that parking brake warning light, and aftermarket radio, and wiring inside should be done! OH! and find where power goes to the AC.

Thanks to this board, was able to convert tand'm lock light to parking brake light and convert pontiac vacuum gauge to the GM one and get the whole dash done in one weekend, including paint drying time!

Now i'm going to rehab parts of the interior (the kick panel vents for one), the AC vents, dash doors, etc. and then yank the rest of the interior.

Here is a pic of the small pile of parts, and the finished for now dash cluster. Most of the parts i'm just setting aside, until after the interior is painted (a medium gray with black panels, seats, etc)

I have 3 layers of sound/heat insulation to put in and all new weatherstripping to put in too, so except for no headliner, it should be a lot more quiet ride. Of course to do THAT, i need to swap the tranny, to see for sure where the shifter is coming up, so it'll be off to the tranny rebuilders this week to get it ready.

After interior is all done, time to yank the motor and start gluing gaskets on, blasting, and painting pieces and parts to get it looking good.
Attached Images

cortcomp is offline   Reply With Quote