View Single Post
Old 05-14-2011, 10:58 PM   #41
Dan in Pasadena

Re: Danny Boy is BAACK! w/ '55 Big Window

Ok you guys, I got the 15x7 vintage Torque Thrusts mounted today. Since this will be a weekend, Home Depot driver for a while so I bought used, but excellent tires from CL. I was looking for 235/70's and ended up with 237/75's. A bit taller (1/2") than the 70's but honeslty on this truck, at stock height it looks fine. It looks like an old guy's truck...which it IS!

Daughter borrowed my camera but I'll have it back tomorow and will post. I still have to find the small machine screws to put the center caps on anyway. They're cool "SoCal Speed Shop" caps from back in the day.

STARTER PROBLEM: The PO told me I'd sometimes have to hit the starter solenoid with a screwdriver(!) when the truck is hot. It happened today but luckily I was at a friend's house so I just hung out til it cooled. When the starter works, it works fine. No grinding, nothing. So I'm wondering if it needs a new starter or if I should just buy a replacement solenoid? What are your opinions? Yes, I know & agree about "while you're in there" - but its about $65-70 at NAPA vs $16-18 for just the solenoid. Frankly, I can use the $50 difference for other things on the truck right now. Like new plugs & wires, etc.

Also, does anyone have any experience with upgrading an old points type distributor to an electronic via the Pertronix kit? Advice appreciated.

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 05-14-2011 at 11:08 PM.
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote