View Single Post
Old 08-16-2017, 11:25 AM   #1
Jayman931

Ignition Coil Resistor Wire Problems

Electrical problems again

(I have HEI not points distributor)

SHORT VERSION: My rear turn signals and brake lights do not work. I thought I had fixed this problem but had the same wire short out again. It is the Ignition Coil Resistor Wire. I didn't know this at the time so I cut the shorted part out and replaced it. Now my starter wont disengage after engine fires up.(voltage not dropping) and I have no brake lights or turn signals (original problem).

Questions: 1) Where can I get a resistor wire...or how do I solve this problem
with the starter not disengaging after the engine fires.
2) Is this 2 unrelated problems or are one of the other 2 wires
that were ran with the coil wires turn signal/brake lights?

LONG VERSION
Awhile back I had no rear turn signals or brake problems....I thought I had it fixed when I found 3 wires that had been fried together (one was the coil resistor wire...the three wires were all ran in the channel where the back of the hood meets the body of the truck (kinda by the windshield spray nozzles)

I separated all the wires....put a heat shrink insulator on the Coil Resistor wire (that was the one that was shorting out to metal on the body) put it in a black plastic wire loom and everything worked for about a month.

Fast forward to yesterday. Rear turnsignals and brake lights do not work but rear running lights still do. I checked the three wires I had thought I fixed and they were worse than before. The loom was melted to the wires in multiple spots. At this point I decide I am going to run a new wire to replace the one that shorted out (which happened to be the Coil Resistor Wire...I didn't know this at the time)....So I cut a good bit of the wire out where it had been melted to the loom and reconnected everything. Annnddd...not only do the rear lights not work.....but the starter will not disengage when it starts. (I found out that this is cause the wire I put in isn't a resistor wire so the starter voltage isn't dropping from 12 to 9v.

Questions-
1- Where do I find a resistor wire....or is there any certain gauge or wire I can buy to fix this problem. This is my daily work truck.

2- Why do the 3 wires running from the firewall behind the master cylinder ....then running in the channel at the back of the hood and running down by the starter have anything to do with my rear brake lights and turn signals?

Sorry for the long post. I can take pictures upon request.