View Single Post
Old 01-13-2018, 11:27 AM   #40
mickeykreg

Re: rust repair on the '77...here goes nothin

Quote:
Originally Posted by catch2otwo View Post
nice work on the roof repair. My 73 burb has rot in the roof and I've been having a hell of a time finding any info on repairing the roof. Been thinking of replacing the whole roof skin but not sure if it will save much in time comparing to replacing pieces like you did. Do you know if anyone makes a replacement roof?
I had the same problem as your having. That's what drove me to cut the roof out of the junkyard. Glad I did that, cause for $50 I got a bunch of repair pieces that I needed. As it turns out I ended up using more than just the roof skin, such as A and B pillar parts. Also used some of the inner skin, and the support beam that runs width wise between inner and outer skin.
I don't know of anybody that sells a replacement roof skin. The more I dig into this thing the more surprised I am at how many parts are not available.

If I were to do it again I'd find another donor roof, but I'd keep the outer skin intact and replace it as a whole, (like the kid in this video has done). Get the old outer skin off first so you can see what you have to deal with and go from there. With a donor roof you'll have what you need. That's what I would do, but a suburban roof will obviously ad a bit of complexity.

'80 SRW C35 - 355/700R4/4:11/2.5-3/DD
'77 Cheyenne K5 - Roller cam 355/NV4500/205/4:88's/35's/DD

rust repair on the '77
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=740291
mickeykreg is offline   Reply With Quote