View Single Post
Old 08-26-2017, 11:58 PM   #7
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Re: stainless mustang tank, Autometer guage, bad ground?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintman View Post
Ok an update. Had some time to crawl around inside and out of the truck, here is what i did. I took the sender wire off at the tank and nothing happened at the gauge. Stayed at zero

Then I took a volt meter and checked power at the terminal on the back of the gauge. I have 12V power at the gauge!

Does this mean I have a bad gauge? I can't imagine a brand new guage being faulty.
You'll get 12 volts at the back of the gauge between the sender terminal and ground even reading through the resistor or the gauge coils.

The gauge staying at empty means that your sending terminal is grounded either at the gauge, between the gauge and the FUEL terminal on the fuse panel, or in the wire from the fuse panel to the sending unit at the fuel tank.

If you pull the sending unit wire off at the fuse panel, what happens. Your gauge should go to Past full, between the 2 o'clock and the 3 o'clock position.

If it does then you should pull the sill plate over the left rocker panel and check the tan wire for chafing of the insulation where it may be touching the cab metal.

If you have a grounding terminal on the gauge, be sure you don't have the tan sending unit wire connected there instead of to the sending terminal.
HEY it can happen.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote