View Single Post
Old 08-27-2017, 11:47 AM   #8
paintman

Re: stainless mustang tank, Autometer guage, bad ground?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteVet View Post
You'll get 12 volts at the back of the gauge between the sender terminal and ground even reading through the resistor or the gauge coils.

The gauge staying at empty means that your sending terminal is grounded either at the gauge, between the gauge and the FUEL terminal on the fuse panel, or in the wire from the fuse panel to the sending unit at the fuel tank.

If you pull the sending unit wire off at the fuse panel, what happens. Your gauge should go to Past full, between the 2 o'clock and the 3 o'clock position.

If it does then you should pull the sill plate over the left rocker panel and check the tan wire for chafing of the insulation where it may be touching the cab metal.

If you have a grounding terminal on the gauge, be sure you don't have the tan sending unit wire connected there instead of to the sending terminal.
HEY it can happen.
Ok Vette here is some more info...........
Checked the back of my gauge. I have ignition power wire going to termianl marked "I" ignition. Ground going to "G" and sender going to :S: so thats wired properly accourding to the Autometer and American autowire diaghram.

Not sure what you mean by disconnecting sender wire at fuse panel. American Autowires' harness has the sender wire running directly from the guage all the back to terminal on tank. I did disconnect sender wire from back of guage and checked it there. I get 38.5 on the ohm meter, which sounds right as I know I have 9-10 gallons of fuel in the tank.

I also checked the ground terminal on the back of the guage with the ground wire connected. I got a reading of 0.4 from the teriminal to the main grounding block for all the guages. I guess this tells me that I do have a good ground at the gauge.

sure seems to me I have either a brand new guage that does not work, or they sent me the wrong guage for a mustang sending unit. I think maybe the best thing to do (before i pull the guage cluster out of the dash), is get a new guage that I know for sure is 75-10 and jury rig it to the fuel sender wire and see if i get a good reading.
paintman is offline   Reply With Quote