View Single Post
Old 09-06-2017, 07:30 AM   #29
special-K
Special Order

Re: 72 1/2 ton 4x4 ?

Welcome to the site. I can appreciate your input, but in my eyes if they make the truck ride with proper handling characteristics than they have increase capacity. The front end is out of alignment when nose is up and tail is down. Combine that with mooshy springs anf you have a fairly unsafe handful. Doesn't help if you run underrated tires.

These helpers actually do increase "spring" capacity, but true they don't increase "truck" capacity. They are a definite enhancement to load carrying capacity. They are the difference between being at "truck" capacity with a poorly handling swaying truck and properly handling the load. And of course, there may be a time or two a person or three loaded a truck beyond capacity a time or four and the truck got on down the road. Kinda like a speed limit or bridge rating. It's not like your vehicle will fly off the curve at 40 in a 30 zone and it's not like a 5 ton gross weight is going to break a 3t capacity bridge. There are margins. Putting 1t axles and springs under a 1/2 or 3/4t also a 1t does not make. But you most likely will never see the difference. 3/4t and 1t wheels and tires are identical. You have made the truck better for handling weight and with a little common sense you will never hurt the truck.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 09-06-2017 at 07:45 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote