View Single Post
Old 09-22-2009, 10:23 PM   #17
landarts
landarts

Re: Remote solenoid install by pictures

I had bought the kit about five years ago when I first got the truck back when I lived in Arizona. I recently put the truck into the daily driver rotation and I was having several problems as stated below with the headers causing heat to the starter area. I got tired of dumping water on the starter or sitting in my truck waiting for it to cool down . So I did the install and it has worked out great for me.

On the other issue with the starter I should have explained better. I have never had to change a starter on a Chevy truck before and was not familiar with the shim techniques. I did use the shims that came with the starter as well as one other shim from the old starter and finally got it right

Here is the purpose of the remote solenoid - Copied from the MAD electric site.
After the START'M UP kit has been installed, the only cable routed to the starter is the large cable, and it will be "electrically dead," except for during engine cranking. (No more "live" positive battery cable routed down to the starter, where it might become shorted.)

No longer will those small wires be routed to the starter–where they are often very difficult to work with. No more small starter wires burned by the exhaust system on V-8 and V-6 applications. (The small wires will be re-routed to the new, remote, solenoid, supplied in the kit.)

Connection of a mechanic's remote starter button (with alligator clips and wires) will be easy. It's a very useful feature for engine service work, which requires "bumping" the starter. Examples of such use is adjusting valves, finding timing marks, testing compression, and installing distributors.

The POSITIVE battery cable will be connected to a large stud at one side of the new solenoid, which provides a great place for connecting accessories directly to battery positive power. It's much neater and more reliable to connect wires here than directly to the battery posts, where they are subject to corrosion and look messy. Wires that may be connected here might be; the alternator to battery "charging wire," the dash area "main power-up wire," and wires to relays. (Relays for electric radiator fans, headlights, fuel pumps, and other accessories.)

GM HOT START PROBLEMS

There are two independent categories of hot start problems with the GM DELCO built starting system.

(1) Nothing happens when the key is turned to "START"–although the headlights will burn brightly, and the rest of the electrical system is fine. The problem most often occurs in hot weather, and with the engine warmed up, after about a ten-minute stop. (Heat increases resistance at wiring and electrical parts.)
landarts is offline   Reply With Quote