View Single Post
Old 09-14-2020, 06:35 PM   #1
dragracer98

Bed Mat Modification Idea

I own a 1964 C10 SWB, fleet side. In my restoration I will be putting in a new wood bed and strips. However that will be sometime down the road. It will probably be the last thing I do. In the meantime I plan to put in a plywood bed. I think 1/4" to a 1/2" thick. I will paint the ply with a couple of coats of something. I have also found a rubber bed mat that is a molded piece that looks like a wood bed.

The mat comes in a 6.5ft long by 48"w x 3/8" thick and made of 100% recycled rubber. It would just lay on top of the plywood. My idea is to take two of these mats to cover the bed. It will be a total of 5 pieces to make the "I" shape of the bed floor. One complete mat in the middle of the bed and "corner" pieces cut to fit in front and back of the wheel tubs. I am trying to figure out the best way to attach the corner pieces. I have thought of just attaching the pieces with some sort of adhesive with either a butt joint or cutting the pieces and the mat ( where they attach) on a 45 degree angle for a better looking fit. Not crazy about this.

I am thinking just throwing the pieces in loose they might tend to curl up in the weather. Not ideal but the truck has to live outside right now. I was also thinking of perhaps attaching them with small diameter steel rods in holes drilled in the mat and corner pieces. Think of wood dowels holding a piece of furniture together. When and if I took the mat out it would be in 5 pieces, no big deal to me. It would be easy enough to attach or remove the pieces.

A friend says use some sort of super mega strength tape on the bottom, again not the best idea. He has also volunteered to paint the mat to look more like wood instead of it being black. The mat does have good detail molded in and that might look okay. Any ideas on attaching the corner pieces? All ideas and suggestions welcome. Thanks. Randy
dragracer98 is offline   Reply With Quote