View Single Post
Old 09-23-2008, 01:58 AM   #125
sixnine
Longtime Member

Re: Brent's '72 Custom/10 SWB stepside build

Quote:
Originally Posted by brossow View Post
Finally finished wiring the new sub-panel in the garage this afternoon. Talk about stuff that's not much fun! 50' of 4ga 3-strand wire, seven 90° bends, and a 45° bend. It's gonna take a new garage for me to even think about doing that again! If anything I did meets any sort of code, it's purely coincidence. Words alone cannot express how little I care.

Only have two circuits in there right now, just the preexisting ones (110V lights and power, 220V air compressor), but I got them off the main panel and wired into the sub. Next order of business is emptying out the garage so I can run some more circuits for outlets and lights plus a 220V circuit for the oven so I can start powdercoating, since that's what necessitated this $#@^& detour in the first place.

You can see one of my helpers in the pics if you look close. That's Jane, my black lab. The beagles were utterly uninterested in the project, but Jane wanted to be right in there with me. I prefer the beagles' attitude.
Wow! I just discovered this build and I must say I think this might be one of the best-documented and well-written project threads I've ever read. Keep it up! I'm working on a Camaro right now, but have a '72 stepside that I hope to start on next spring.

I would like to ask, how exactly did you tie in the new sub-panel to your existing panel? We just moved into a new house and I need to run a 220v circuit to my garage for my compressor.

I've ran 220v circuits before,for this very same compressor, but I've always had the fortune of working with 150 or 200 amp panels that had plenty of room for new circuits. The house we live in now only has a 100amp panel and it is packed full with no room to add another 220v circuit. (I guess the builder didn't feel the need for a larger panel since the dryer, oven, stove, fireplace, and heat pump are all gas). Since I will be purchasing a welder when I start work on my '72, I would like to go ahead and add a sub-panel like you have done so that I can expand as necessary. Would it be possible for you to take a picture of your sub-panel connections in the existing panel and explain the connections?

I'll sign a waiver absloving you of all responsibility if it'll make you feel more comfortable.

1972 C10 Short Step -http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=261405

Last edited by sixnine; 09-23-2008 at 02:19 AM. Reason: punctuation
sixnine is offline   Reply With Quote