View Single Post
Old 10-07-2012, 11:52 PM   #84
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Re: Polar Bear Suburban

Behold! Finally got some work done to the Polar Bear that is post worthy.

Removing the rear spring shackle brackets. I find it easier to cut the rivet head in half then use an air hammer to knock off the rivet halves then beat the rivet on through the frame. Unfortunately, my air compressor was dying so removing these rivets still turned out to be an all-day event.

ORD shackle flip brackets mounted and the old 9.5” semi-floating axle pitched in the iron pile.

As the 10.5" 14 bolt full-floater was going in. Learned something with the rear brake backing plates….do not always believe the AC Delco online parts catalog for “Vehicle List” to view which vehicles use the same part. The AC Delco catalog had me believing the 13 x 2 brake backing plates from the 9.5” semi-floater were compatible with 13 x 3.5 drums on a full-floater. Ah, nope! After finding that issue, I had to go scrounge up some 13 backing plates at the salvage yard for a full-floater. Funny thing is this axle had 13 x 3.5 brakes on it when I pruned it out of the donor truck but I stole them to bolt on my K10 and had planned to use the K10’s 11”s on the back of the burb until it dawned on me I would have a park brake issue being the 11” backing plates had the bolt on park brake cables while the Suburban requires the later style push in cables. The only way to make the park brake work correctly was to find full floater backing plates with the push in cable design (1984 and later). What a ha$$le that turned out to be! Actually, I would have had the same issue had I used the 13” brakes that were originally on this axle anyway as they were the early bolt on style. It is easier to find the correct backing plates to work with the Burbs park brake system than rework the entire park brake system on the Burb to the old style U-system. With it being a manual trans, a park brake is a must so it was worth the lost week of chasing parts!

All buckled up and ready for some tires

One thing I need to redo is replace the drop pitman arm in exchange for a raised steering arm. I had a 2” drop pitman arm lying around that I thought would suffice, but no dice. It steers horrible……In fact, it barely turns left before the draglink smacks the leaf spring.

Nice butt!

To my surprise, it actually sits level and rides so much better even with the bias ply Super Swampers. Rear shackle flips make a huge different in ride. My buddy and I need to fabricate some rear bumper brackets next weekend to mount the rear step bumper. Even with a step up in tire size the change in gear ratio to 4:10 (from 3:42) did give the big bear a noticeable amount of oomph at the bottom end. The step up to 13 x 3.5 rear brake shoes/drums gave it a noticeable bump in brake power as well.

That’s all for now. Next up is hanging the rear bumper then I need to get some tunes in this thing. Been driving it for a year without a radio.
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote