View Single Post
Old 01-12-2023, 09:59 AM   #60
stinsonj

Re: '51 Build w/4bt Cummins

Been awhile since I've posted anything so here's an update:

Since this truck is my wife's, and I want it to be as safe as possible, I decided awhile back to have a local hot rod shop do some of the work on it that I wasn't comfortable doing. So, after waiting on a list for a few months, i was finally able to get it in to a shop.

-They ended up installing the steering linkage (I had issues with clearance around the starter)
-Install the entire brake system (swapped to hydroboost instead of the vacuum boost i originally had in it.
-Fabricate/Install gas and clutch pedal
-Build transmission hump
-Build and install driveshaft

They were able to do all of this over the course of about a month, which would have taken me 10x as long so all in all, I'm pretty happy with the work they did.

Since getting the truck back, we started working on wiring via a Painless Wiring harness. Been fairly simple so far and have since completed about 50% of the wiring, including getting the truck to start with a key for the first time.

I decided to go with a stock replacement fuel tank (behind the seat) just to limit fabrication, which was installed over the past few days. The cummins has a fuel return line so a bung needed to be added to the tank which i bought from Performance Online. Super easy install, took about 5 min. The fuel supply and return lines were both run and so far, no leaks which is nice.

Next on the list is to figure out how to hook up the throttle cable. It will take a bit of engineering to come up with a solution but nothing I can't handle. Once that is done, I will bleed the brakes and clutch then it will be time for its first, albeit short, test drive (radiator is not installed yet).
stinsonj is offline   Reply With Quote