View Single Post
Old 05-05-2018, 09:59 PM   #22
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Re: Alternator question

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave`12 View Post
I found this while looking for the adapter kit at LMC. Looks like alternator part number
362724 (top left) would bolt right in (no need to worry about clocking etc.)??

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cb/full.aspx?Page=190

Looking at your picture from LMC and the one you posted above with your regulator plug I am confused, I can see the brown red white and blue wires in the plug, and the kit you are getting just jumps the brown and white together ,and the red and blue together,to extend the brown wire and the red wire to the alternator. Then you have to connect the blue and white wires to the alternator, so why not just run the brown and red wires to the alternator and forget the kit.

Here is what I got at autozone for $5.00 and just spliced the brown and red wires to the brown and red wires on it and then I just plugged it into the alternator.

My alternator is on the passenger side like yours and the clocking is at 6 and 12. I just ran new wires to the terminal strip and connected the red wire to the alternator output wire there and the brown wire I connected to the brown wire that I took off the ald regulator plug.

Name:  06488.JPG
Views: 3583
Size:  4.8 KB

This is the jumpered wires on the regulator plug.

Name:  Jumpered%20Diagram.jpg
Views: 2021
Size:  83.6 KB

The circled part is the soldered junction which I can see in your picture above with the four red wires and the black (ammeter) wire.

The four red wires go to the alternator, battery, the regulator plug, and the cab. The black ammeter wire (shown as gray in the picture with the fuse) also goes to the cab to the instrument cluster plug.

The battery terminal on the positive battery has a smaller wire which is a fusible link. This wire runs over to the right fender to a junction bolt which has the battery charging wire and the other ammeter wire connected together. The wires are not color coded in this picture but you should be able to figure out which is which. The black wire with the cone shaped fuse holder is the ammeter wire that runs straight to you instrument cluster plug. The fusible link runs from the battery positive post over to the fender bolt and the other wire is the battery charging wire that goes to the main junction.

Pictured:

Name:  HPIM3238 (1024x768).jpg
Views: 3594
Size:  37.9 KB

The red charging wire will go to the main junction that replaces the soldered junction. Usually it runs across the top of the radiator in the harness with the headlights and the park/turn lights. You don't have to do anything with it because it only charges the battery, but you have to make sure it will reach the main junction, so mount the junction to accommodate that.

You will need to relocate the fan(s) power wires to the main junction so that they are connected to the alternator output wire. 8 gauge

Then run the fan power wire or wires to the fan relay or relays to the number 30 terminal on the relay(s). You will need to have a fuse inline with the wire and a 30 amp is the normal size.

I don't know how you wired the fans to the relays or if you used a kit but if you could do that then you should be able to wire the alternator. Once you get into it and start recognizing the wires and their paths it will all come together.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote