View Single Post
Old 06-11-2018, 10:38 AM   #20
RotaryRocketeer

Re: Timing Curve Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Wade View Post
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/c...00-1/overview/

I recommend one of these. Use the two blue springs along with the factory HEI weights. It is best to limit the travel of the advance arm to around 1/8 of an inch. I do this by tack welding a plate that acts as a stop. This will give you about 12 degrees vacuum advance. Your HEI should provide 20-22 degrees mechanical advance assuming it hasn't been jacked with. Set initial timing to 12-14 degrees at low idle in gear. experiment hooking vacuum advance to full vacuum(only if you limit the travel) or timed(when vacuum is only applied after the butterflies are cracked open. 32 degrees total (initial+mechanical/all in around 3200) is all you want/need with the combustion chamber shape of the Vortecs.

Been setting them up a long time like this and they haul if everything else is right
I got my MSD advance curve kit over the weekend, so I'll be doing a little experimenting with springs coming up soon. My weights are a little more worn than I'm comfortable with, and I'm gonna be putting the MSD weights and bushings on. I'm thinking one light and one medium to get all in a bit quicker, due to how quickly this cam outruns it lungs on the top. Makes great power to about 4200 rpm, and nothing more.
RotaryRocketeer is offline   Reply With Quote