View Single Post
Old 01-19-2013, 06:41 PM   #9
jdl71

Re: 66 Long Stepside

Small update. Had some fantastic weather today (as of right now, 4:30pm it's 61) for Missouri so I decided to mount up one of the fenders I got off the forum.

Before:

and after:

This went surprisingly well. Only had to fight one bolt and that was mostly due to the undercoating that gunked up the head so bad it was hard to keep a socket from slipping. While I had it off I had a good look and the condition of the passenger side of the cab and floor, and I must admit I'm pretty happy. Looks like the cab supports are salvageable, just a small patch needed in the kick panel/floor area and a couple pin holes in the cowl vent(or whatever that thing is called). Rockers aren't horrible, but there is some rust on the inner so they will both be changed eventually.

Just a couple of things need attention with the fender. One, I can't figure out why the trim doesn't line up with the door. The fender is not out of adjustment, the trim is crooked on the fender for some reason. I reused the holes that were already there, the fender had trim on it before I took it off to primer and it looked straight. Is there some way to adjust this up and down? I'm going to try to loosen a couple of the nuts closest to the door and see if it will drop down into alignment. Secondly, the bottom fender bolt by the door isn't grabbing very well. I'm guessing the weld nut in the bottom of the fender brace is on it's last legs. I tried running a tap through it before I mounted it on the truck, but it really didn't seem to be grabbing much. Is there an easy fix for this or does the brace need to be cut open or separated from the fender to replace the weld nut?

64 C10

66 K20
jdl71 is offline   Reply With Quote