View Single Post
Old 06-19-2018, 01:03 AM   #15
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

Re: New Guy Needing Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by T97 View Post
Im not looking to make any sort of power out of this truck i just want to build a nice cruiser i csn drive to shows reliably. But i will definitely read into the 12 bolts. This is my first chevrolet im really working on i mostly work on mazda and mitsubishi mini trucks but im sure they cant be that much different than these. So any advice is greatly appreciated.
Spend some time browsing the FAQs.
That's where I found this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
Your C10 has the Eaton HO32 differential that was used from second series '55 thru '62 in the 1/2 tons. Those do look basically the same as the Eaton HO52/72 used in the C20's up thru '72.

If it is just the center section that is bad in your differential, you could try and find another good 3rd member and just change it, That would be the easiest and cheapest to get you back on the road. Alhtough you'll likely still be stuck with 3.90 gears, which aren't very highway friendly.

The next step would be a '63-'64 12 bolt. Those will have the same panhard bar mount, but the trailing arm mounts are a little closer together. It is possible that threr is enough movement ion your trailing arms, to get them to bolt up. Otherwise, the trailing arm mounts will need to be cut off and welded back on at the correct distance and pinion angle.

Then there is the '65 to early '70 12 bolts. The same situation with the trailing arm mounts. But these differentials use a shorter panhard bar. They can be used, but the panhard bar will need a slight bend in one end to be able to bolt it up to the frame bracket.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
The '65 to early '70 12 bolts are exactly the same, as in a direct swap. The '63-'64 12 bolt will bolt up except they are setup for the long panhard bar. The long panhard bar can work with a slight bend in the frame end.

If you are just talking about the internal parts, all truck 12 bolt parts from '63-'82 will interchange. The one thing that is different is in the '63 and '64 12 bolts, they used 17 spline axles and spider gears. '64 and up used 30 spline.

The auto trans trucks could have 3.73's, 3.42's or 3.07's. Some of the later models came with 2.73's.

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is online now   Reply With Quote