View Single Post
Old 09-22-2018, 06:09 PM   #37
ray_mcavoy

Re: Battery/amp gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 Burb View Post
Does any aftermarket supplier sell a volt meter to fit the 67 - 72 instrument panel in place of the crappy battery gauge?
I wouldn't consider the factory battery gauge crappy ... when wired correctly, they actually do a good job of letting the driver know if the battery is charging or being discharged. However, as I described earlier in post #33, they will become less sensitive (and not as useful) if the shunt wire is up-sized to handle a larger current load than stock. And as I mentioned there, member T-Bone converts the '76-'87 style voltmeters to fit '67-'72 gauge clusters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald29609 View Post
The in dash battery gauge on my 67 pickup works but only on discharge.
Can't figure it out. I know its charging because I checked with a meter 14.7v.
The truck starts every day without a problem.
Any ideas?
In addition to what VetteVet wrote, also check to see how your alternator output is wired into the system. For the battery gauge to function correctly, the alternator output has to be routed to the stock location, which is the multi-wire spliced junction in the harness on the driver side of the radiator support. If the alternator output is re-routed directly to the battery, the battery gauge will only show discharge even when the charging system is working okay.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote