View Single Post
Old 10-19-2015, 09:32 AM   #44
msg

Re: Fixin Dixie - 66 Short Bed Fleetside

Been working on painting and repair the past few months, painted alot of sandblasted parts and panels. The rear axle was blasted and I have 3 coats of epoxy primer on it. As soon as Im done with the paint and repair on what I have I think Ill do the bearing and seal replacements and store it till it's assembly day. Dreaming of that day. Also the trailing arms are painted 3 coats as well, after I finally figured out how to get that bushing out of each so I can replace with the rubber OEM part.

The doors that I had previously cut off the base rusted areas are underway now after being sandblasted inside and out. I tried at first a trick that the supplier mentioned on painting the interior of the door and that was to tape up all the holes and crevices and add reducer to the epoxy primer and pour it while tilting the door around so it gets in all the spots the paint gun wont reach. That method didnt work out so good mainly cause you need to mix a bit more than a quart to have it flow across everything. So I took the mixed paint and got a foam paint brush and loaded it up and got into as many places as I can access, pushing the paint into the seams and corners as I went.

Heres the door painted

then shots of the interior after painting

Then I saw some pin holes I didnt see before I had cut the base out and cut that section out and found rust and crud that needed to be dealt with. The other side of the door will be needing a base of door patch panel as well.

Then I had cut the patch panel out as careful as I could, lotta angles and curves there to deal with and they match up so so. 3 things I didnt consider, 1 was that when I had cut out the base of the door and had them blast it, it seemed to warp the panel since there was no support there. So the base of the door sagged in. So I had to get the stud welder out and place pins and try and pull it back up. Mostly it gave me a point to grab as I spot welded and helped to line up. 2nd thing was I noticed even thought the cut panel and patch panel matched in size after cutting, there is a slight gap at the base of the panel where the front panel will have to wrap around and be spot welded. I took the stud welder and pulled it out a bit to line up but its not lining up like I hoped.

The 3rd thing was that either I am putting too much heat as I use the mig welder to spot weld off and on different areas and its shrinking, or that the warping from the blasting caused this.

I will pay closer attention on the other door Im about to work on this week.
I guess between the high build primer and body filler that depressed area will even out. Hope so anyway.