View Single Post
Old 05-07-2018, 02:28 PM   #359
ibrown50

Re: Ian's Tennessee Honey '64 Short Box Step-side - England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palf70Step View Post
Great looking work Ian!
Thanks Bill

Onwards and upwards (as they say). Today was a national holiday in the UK so I took the opportunity to make a bit more progress, the bottom of the A post was completely rusted out. I would normally try to replace below the swage for the outer rocker to preserve the original position, however, although it wasn’t rusted through it was so thin you couldn’t have welded it.

Name:  Pillar repair.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  78.6 KB

First job was to remove the hinge, I marked the hinge and bolt positions so that when I re-fit it, it’s going to be broadly in the right place.

Name:  Mark hinge.jpg
Views: 467
Size:  74.6 KB

Next job was to mark and cut the pillar, my preferred method is masking tape and a pencil. You can see from the picture below just how crooked the crop was on the repair panel I had to grind it square before using it, don't forget the two spot welds that hold the cage for the hinge plate

Name:  pillar2.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  74.5 KB

Name:  Pillar3.jpg
Views: 421
Size:  75.5 KB

the fit was quite poor too, I had to tack the best fit areas and then work the others before welding them. Top tip use a hinge bolt to keep the cage drawn up tight against the pillar, it's impossible to weld up otherwise

Name:  Pillar 4.jpg
Views: 419
Size:  85.8 KB