Thread: 47-55.1 Camber angle
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2019, 08:23 PM   #16
mick53

Re: Camber angle

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
The reason no one makes them is that there is not a viable demand to warrant the expenditure.

If you have the machine shop capabilities both skill and equipment wise available It should come down to designing a caliper bracket that bolts to the stock spindle and holds the caliper where you need it to be. That may be as simple as a plate machined to bolt to the spindle and hold the Wildwood bracket. Then it becomes a "how do I get from here to there without compromising safety.

With credit to SSBC for the photo, this is a pretty much standard disk brake caliper bracket that puts a Chevy caliper on a 53 spindle. You aren't looking at how the caliper attaches to the bracket, what you are looking at is how the bracket attaches to the spindle and if you made a bracket blank that started out larger but bolted to the spindle so you could trim away what you didn't need to attach the bracket you have to it or design your own bracket using the Wildwood bracket as a pattern to machine out your own bracket for the six piston caliper. That has to be a lot simpler than building an axle out of a mega dollar titanium billet.
Sorry I haven't responded sooner. You got me thinking. As usual I think I may have been overthinking this. I was hung up on the spindles. Wilwood makes the spindle for my 53 axle, get a 4" drop axle. I have an end mill in my shop. I could make this, how cool. So if I made a plate. that mounted on the stock spindle holes I believe it's milled flat there? Then figure the offsets and make it match the caliper . Might be able to use the supplied one. I have been thinking about this for a year. I posted this on four different forums and you are the only one to suggest this. Looks like I will have a pair of Bel Air spindles to donate. Thank you.
mick53 is offline   Reply With Quote